Tuesday 1 February 2011

Review: Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom #1) by Devon Monk

Devon Monk

Description (from Goodreads)

Using magic meant it used you back. Forget the fairy-tale, hocus-pocus, wave a wand and bling-o, sparkles and pixie dust crap. Magic, like booze, sex, and drugs, gave as good as it got.

Everything has a cost. And every act of magic exacts a price from its user - maybe a two-day migraine, or losing the memory of your first kiss. But some people want to use magic without paying, and they Offload the cost onto innocents. When that happens, it falls to a Hound to identify the spell's caster - and Allison Beckstrom's the best there is.

Daughter of a prominent Portland businessman, Allie would rather moonlight as a Hound than accept the family fortune - and the strings that come with it. But when she discovers a little boy dying from a magic Offload that has her father's signature all over it, Allie is thrown into the high-stakes world of corporate espionage and black magic.

Now Allie's out for the truth - and must call upon forces that will challenge everything she knows, change her in ways she could never imagine ... and make her capable of things that powerful people will do anything to control.


I started Magic to the Bone last week but was distracted by the sheer amount of books I had around me. I really didn't know which one to choose and kept flitting from one to another. I picked it up again a few days later.

The first 6 chapters didn't light my fire, although it was nowhere as near as frustrating as Nightwalker. I'd read a review somewhere which described it as dark but to be honest I found it a bit fluffy (I'm still talking about the first few chapters). I prefer my stories/series a little dark and gritty but I didn't dislike this enough to stop reading, but then again I'm renowned for disliking the first half of the first book in every series I read -I almost stopped reading Halfway to the Grave because Bones' accent was getting on my nerves and now that's my favourite series EVER.

Chapter 7 is where things take a turn for the better. Then that was it, I couldn't put it down. Everything just got better. I enjoyed the relationship between Allie and Zay. I have to admit though that Allie frustrates me a little, but I'm hoping that she's grow over the next few books. I have now read the first 3 books and it is now on my favourite series list.

Rating: 4/6 - Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment