Saturday 18 June 2011

Review: This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress #5) by Jeaniene Frost



Description (from Goodreads)
Danger waits on both sides of the grave.
Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .
With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"—the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.
I never did managed to read all of the previous books before this installment came out, as was my plan. I had to stop half way through Destined for an Early Grave, when book 5 was delivered to my kindle via Whispernet at 12:06.

I was so excited. My stomach was doing somersaults. I did what I said I wasn't going to do and started to read it (i didn't want to binge read it so told myself I wouldn't read it until the morning). Then I remembered that I'd already read the first 2 chapters on Jeaniene's website so, I re-read them, then forced myself to go to bed. I'm glad to say that Cat has grown. She didn't make those stupid snap decisions she usually make which was a relief. There was less action than usual, though. Usually lots of things happen, but it seemed like not a lot happened. I think this was the reason I was able to take my time and read it slowly, which I don't usually do. I binge read then regret it later. Yet it took me two full days to read this book. Unusual.

I debated giving it a 6 but I couldn't decide if the edge was taken off due to all the anticipation, or it was because of there was less action. I really want to give it a 6 because it's Cat and Bones for God sake, but I can't, it doesn't feel right :/ I'll definitely read it again soon though. It was great, just not amazing.

I really did enjoy reading it. It's a great series.

Rating 5/6 - Really Liked It

No comments:

Post a Comment