Saturday 18 June 2011

Review: The Turning (Blood Ties #1) by Jennifer Armintrout


Description (from Goodreads)
I'm no coward. I want to make that perfectly clear. But after my life turned into a horror movie, I take fear a lot more seriously now. I finally became Dr. Carrie Ames just eight months ago. Then I was attacked in the hospital morgue by a vampire. Just my luck.
So now I'm a vampire, and it turns out I have a blood tie to the monster who sired me. The tie works like an invisible leash and I'm bound to him no matter what I do. And of course he's one of the most evil vampires on earth. With my sire hell-bent on turning me into a soulless killer and his sworn enemy set to exterminate me, things couldn't get much worse -- except I'm attracted to them both.
Drinking blood, living as an immortal demon and being a pawn between two warring vampire factions isn't exactly how I'd imagined my future. But as my father used to say, the only way to conquer fear is to face it. So that's what I'll do. Fangs bared.



I immediately like the fact that it seems more grown up and more realistic than the books I've been reading lately (I was 2 chapters in at that point).

It annoyed me that she went off to find Cyrus, and I was even more annoyed that all she took was a stake. I don't get why she would go. "There was no way to soften the truth" ?? What truth? It may have been believable if the blood tie thing had been written well but it wasn't, and then when she goes back to Nate and is all like 'well he can't be that bad if I'm drawn to him'.

Armintrout didn't write the blood tie well enough for me to believe it, any of it.

Although the first few chapters were interesting and showed promise, it had less humour than I'm used to and I found it all just a bit dull. I think it was because there wasn't much emotion. I was surprised at the lack of emotion she showed while Cyrus was breakfasting in front of her. Especially when he swaped eyes. She showed no emotion what-so-ever. And that sums this book up for me; it didn't make me feel anything. Nothing. Nada.

The fight scene (when she went to cyrus 's mansion with ziggy and fought 3 guards) was boring, unrealistic and poorly written.

Also, I couldn't believe that she suddenly started calling him her 'sire'! Jesus christ when/how did this come about? All this I could forgive if it was written well but it isn't. Not by a long shot. I managed to keep reading up until she was explaining to Ziggy that she was leaving and then I just couldn't take any more.

Another one for my DNF December challenge :/

Rating: 1/6 - Did Not Finish

No comments:

Post a Comment