Wednesday 20 July 2011

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver


Description (from Goodreads)
Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.
But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?

I love the cover of this book. The synopsis was good as well so it went straight on my TBR list, where it stayed for a good few weeks. It wasn't until I'd flew through the first 3 books of The Hollows series that I thought it best to stop, take a breath, and read something else before I devoured the rest of the series.

The POV confused me at first so it took me a while to get the gist of what was what. The story is told in 3rd person, with the pov switching from Riley to Beck throughout.

The inner dialogue wasn't needed and made my eyes roll. Worst of all it was scattered throughout the whole book. A look or a sigh could have conveyed the same message but in a less obvious way. It was just so cheesy.

I found Riley a little whiny and too emotional at the start (before her dad died), but she wasn't annoying enough to irritate me... at first (I'm pretending the conversation with her reflection didn't happen).

I wish I knew why Riley was so pissed off at Beck. Okay, she'd had a crush on him that wasn't reciprocated, but I'd have thought she'd be more likely to be embarrassed about it than angry. If I knew why maybe I'd have some sympathy but as it was the constant attitude towards him got on my nerves a little.

I skim read the funeral. I don't care for them (funerals) unless it's for a character I actually care about. Paul B may be a great man but I met him only briefly and devoting the first 30% of the book to him, and his funeral, was a bit much. I almost gave up but I kept reminding myself that I can dislike a beginning of a book before growing to love it. So onwards I read, hoping for the best.

I really don't know what to say. I can't not mention simon and his smooth talking. Really?! Where did he pull that line from? Who said romance was dead?!

It got a bit juvenile towards the end, but it is what it is. I knew that going in but Riley acts 13 not 17. The plot is simple and predictable, and the characters are very two dimensional, especially Riley. Simon is wet behind the ears. I had no clue what Riley ever saw in him. Beck was the only character that seemed to be a little more fleshed out than the others, but not by much. The action, when there was some, was lacklustre at best, and the main plot was lame, and I can't believe it ended where it did. I think half of the problem is that the Demons are not scary, like not at all.

I wouldn't read it again and I doubt I'll read the next instalment when that comes out, but I've read worse. If I could I'd give it 2.5 out of 6 I would, but I'm not going there with the half points -maybe I should though, sometimes lately they feel warranted.

I kinda wish I felt more strongly about this book, either way, but I don't. It was dull, readable but dull. Even though Nightwalker was Rubbish and frustrating like hell, at least I felt something. Not so with this one. I'm sad, I LOVED the cover.

Rating: 3/6 - It Was Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment