Wednesday 3 August 2011

Review: Hunted By The Others (H&W Investigations #1) by Jess Haines

Shiarra Waynest's detective work was dangerous enough when her client base was strictly mortal. But ailing finances have forced her to accept a lucrative case that could save her firm - if it doesn't kill her first. Shiarra has signed on to work for a high-level mage to recover an ancient artifact owned by one of New York's most powerful vampires. As soon as Shiarra meets sexy, mesmerizing vamp Alec Royce, she knows her assignment is even more complicated than she thought. With a clandestine anti-Other group trying to recruit her, and magi being eliminated, Shiarra needs back-up and enlists her ex-boyfriend - a werewolf whose non-furry form is disarmingly appealing - and a nerdy mage with surprising talents. But it may not be enough. In a city where the undead roam, magic rules, and even the Others aren't always what they seem, Shiarra has just become the secret weapon in a battle between good and evil - whether she likes it or not.

I've been in a bit of a slum these past few days, flitting from book to book. I'd read a few pages of one then quickly leave it for another. Then the cover of Hunted by The Others caught my eye on Goodreads, I saw all the good ratings and thought why not. I'm kinda glad I did, at first.


Shianna is a PI, a PI whose business is in trouble and both she and it, are running in the red. Needing money fast she takes a seemingly easy job for a lot of money and bites of way more than she can chew.


I don't know how I feel about this book. It started off good but slowly turned into Darkfever #2.


The weapon cave made me think of Batman but nowhere near as cool. There was lots of mundane dialogue, no humour and not very exciting. I don't get why she was so special that everyone wanted a piece of her. I didn't feel the attraction/spark between her and Royce either.


I quite liked Shianna but I'd like her more if she'd shown some loyalty instead of switching sides so easily. I get the she was struggling with the fact that there wasn't a side she wanted to be on, but wow a show of fangs/a slight hint of a threat and she was anyones. A pair of balls wouldn't have gone a miss.


With frequent info dumps, no excitement and a dull protagonist, I not so much struggled to finish this, more that I wasn't really interest. After taking 3 days to read the first half of the book I finally seemed to settle into it around chapter 19. I still found the plot up to this point a little lame but I knew if I could get past all the setting up of the story/characters I'd start to enjoy it more because the writing was good.


I did hate the fact the belt could 'talk'. It was so cheesy but I'm nic-picking now.


Chaz was boring and I didn't trust him, in fact I didn't really care for any of the characters and I guess that was one of the main issues I had with it.


I may get tempted to read the next installment in the hope of it getting better, but I don't hold out too much hope.


Rating: 3/6 - It Was Okay

No comments:

Post a Comment